SHARE YOUR PASSION AND GET INVOLVED
Please take a moment to review the following for more details on how you may get involved.
- Overview of Application Process
- What the ACFP Board is Looking For
- How to Apply
- Application Package Checklist
- Submission Deadline
- Governance Advisory Committee and 2020/2021 ACFP Board of Directors
The ACFP is looking for Board Member nominations for one Director position, with a focus on community practice. The term of office will be from March 2021 to March 2024. While not limited to the following areas, the Governance Advisory Committee (GAC) is currently encouraging applications from family physician members with experience and interest in:
- rural, comprehensive community practice,
- primary care network or clinic leadership,
- online continuing professional development and practice supports, and/or,
- knowledge and experience in Board strategy, financial, and legal aspects related to the not-for-profit sector.
Overview of Application Process
- The GAC shall seek in writing to Members, the names of eligible Members to consider for possible nomination as Director for the available position. This notice will consist of an application process for the potential Director.
- Should an ACFP member in good standing wish to stand for election for the Director position they must complete the nomination form signed by five ACFP Members in good standing and the other required attachments to the application process (see below). Complete submissions must be made to the GAC no later than Midnight Wednesday, September 30, 2020.
- The GAC shall consider all applications before recommending the proposed slate of Directors to be circulated to all Members, at least 30 days prior to ACFP’s Annual Meeting of Members to be held on March 6, 2020.
What the ACFP Board is Looking For
As a member organization, the ACFP Board strives to be as representative as possible with a focus on community practice, regional perspectives, and a broad range of experience and expertise. The GAC reviews applicants for their skills and competencies in specific areas when considering them for the ACFP Board of Directors. It is not expected that all Board Members will be experts in particular areas; instead the information gathered during the nomination process will help the GAC understand the potential of Board Member applicants.
- Family Medicine Experience – clinical, various practice settings, medical education, research, and health care administration
- Alberta College of Family Physicians – knowledge and commitment to the vision, mission, and strategic priorities
- Board Governance
- Not-for-Profit Organizations
- Legal Literacy – familiarity with contracts and other legal processes
- Financial Literacy – ability to understand the financial health of the organization as presented in its financial statements
- Strategic Planning – demonstrated ability to think critically about systemic issues and the role of the ACFP and family doctors in the health care system
- Systems Thinking – understanding of the reasons for ongoing organizational and system behaviour, and the underlying problems, opportunities or political forces affecting the ACFP, primary care and the health system in Alberta and Canada
- Risk Management – demonstrated ability to think critically about operational and governance issues to ensure the effective management of potential opportunities and adverse effects
- Ethics and Conflict of Interest
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Patient and Health Care Advocacy – demonstrated ability to communicate a position to the intended audience; champion of the role of the family doctor in patient care
- Political Acumen
- Public Affairs and Communications
Interested individuals should review the following items below for more details on how to apply and the information required to accompany your application. The deadline for receipt of nominations is no later than Midnight, Wednesday, September 30, 2020. Applications should be sent to the attention of: Dr. Anila Ramaliu, Chair of the Governance Advisory Committee, Alberta College of Family Physicians (ACFP) by email: email@example.com or by mail: 370, 10403 172 Street, Edmonton AB T5S 1K9 or by fax: (780) 488-2396.
Applications must include the following:
- 200 to 250 word Letter of Intent (LOI) to the GAC highlighting relevant experience and areas of interest;
- Completed Nominations Form signed by at least five members in good standing of the Alberta College of Family Physicians;
- Completed Skills/Competency Inventory Form. (Please note: The information collected in the Skills/Competency Inventory will act as an information tool for the GAC assessment of applicants and does not preclude anyone the opportunity from being appointed on the ACFP Board); and
- A current CV providing an overview of the applicant’s experience and qualifications in relation to the above criteria.
Should you have any questions about the above, please contact Terri Potter, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone 780-488-2395.
Governance Advisory Committee (GAC) Members
Dr. Anila Ramaliu, Calgary – Chair
Dr. Vishal Bhella, Calgary – Board Representative
Dr. Sudha Koppula, Edmonton – Board Representative
Dr. Yasmin Majeed, Calgary – Member-at-Large
Dr. Richard Martin, Grande Prairie – Member-at-Large
Dr. Kathleen Moncrieff, Calgary – Member-at-Large
Dr. Rollie Nichol, Calgary – Member-at-Large
Dr. Oluseyi Oladele, Edmonton – Member-at-Large
2020/2021 ACFP Board of Directors
Dr. Vishal Bhella, Calgary – President
Dr. Sudha Koppula, Edmonton – President-Elect
Dr. Noel DaCunha, Westlock – Secretary
Dr. Clark Svrcek, Calgary – Treasurer
CALL FOR OPERATIONAL COMMITTEES
The ACFP Awards and Recognition Committee plays an important role in building awareness for the ACFP, its members, and the significant role the ACFP plays in the advancing family practice in Alberta. The ACFP Awards and Recognition Committee recognizes, celebrates, and supports family physicians, family medicine residents, and medical students in excellence in leadership, education, advocacy, and research. The Committee helps to promote the ACFP Awards Program and plays a strong role in scanning viable candidates for provincial and national awards and recognition. We are recruiting to the following position:
- 2 Member-at-Large positions (seeking a rural area representative)
HOW TO APPLY
Should you have any questions, please contact the ACFP office by telephone at 780-488-2395 or by email at email@example.com. Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a letter of interest (250 words max) along with a summary of your experience or a copy of your CV.
The deadline for receipt of nominations is no later than Midnight, Wednesday, September 30, 2020.