Celebrating Excellence in Research
The ACFP’s What’s Up Doc? Research Showcase is one of the most valued forums to present at in Alberta. Oral presentations and posters displayed at this event are peer-reviewed and selected for their quality, importance, and relevance to family medicine. The selection process is very competitive and often sees a variety of research abstracts across Alberta. In the 2023 submission process there were a total of 44 research abstracts submitted and of those, 37 were selected for presentation or display at the Showcase.
Enjoy all of the 2023 Research Showcase Award Winners here!
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2023 REVIEWERS’ CHOICE RESEARCH AWARD RECIPIENTS!
Award recipients are determined through a peer-review process evaluation based on the following criteria: relevance and importance to family medicine; relevance to primary care research and researchers; innovation/originality; clear, well-written description, well-defined objectives, and appropriate learning methods/style. There are over 25 peer reviewers that are fluent within the research community that assist with this process. All abstracts and reviews remain completely anoymous to ensure fairness.
The top 6 scoring abstracts from each category (poster display and oral presentation) are selected for adjudication an adjudication evening that happen prior to the Research Showcase. Winners are celebrated at the Awards Ceremony during ACFP’s flagship conference, the Family Medicine Summit (Summit).
Oral Presentation Category
- 1st Place: Current Perspectives of Family Medicine Residents on Clinic-Based Longitudinal Care
- Horvey S, Eastman L, Korownyk C.
- 2nd Place: Re-Purposing the Order of Routine Laboratory Tests in Hospitalized Medical Patients (RePORT)
- Ambasta A, Ferrie L, Omodon O, Duncan D, Mehta A, Pokharel S, Liu L, Hews-Girard J, Tam K, Taylor S, Lonergan K, Farris P, Woodhouse D.
- 3rd Place: Advancing Generalism in Canadian Undergraduate Family Medicine, A Qualitative Study
- Kelly M, Lee A, Ali M, Power L, Boudreault N, Hubinette M.
1st Place Oral Presentation Award Recipients:
Dr. Eastman, Dr. Horvey, and Dr. Korownyk
1st Place Poster Display Award Recipient:
Dr. DeFreitas and Dr. Lebrun
Poster Display Category
- 1st Place: Increased Symptom Scores and Prolonged Course of Recovery for Female Patients with Concussion Injuries Seen at a University Sport Medicine Clinic
- Lebrun C, Boyd A, Sheharzad M, Przyslupski AM, DeFreitas T, Mrazik M.
- 2nd Place: The Need for Skilled Family Medicine Teachers: What are the opportunities for skill development in residency?
- Koppula S, Babenko O, Gentilini S, Tuner N, Szafran O.
- 3rd Place: “It’s improving screening rates, it’s catching things early, and it’s empowering people” : A qualitative study of BETTER WISE
- Manca D, Campbell-Scherer D, Fernandes C, Grunfeld E, Aubrey-Bassler K, Lofters A, Wong T, Latko K, Cheung H, Wong M, Nagase F, Shea-Budgell M.