Celebrating Excellence in Research
The ACFP’s What’s Up Doc? Research Showcase is one of the most valued forums to present at in Alberta. Oral presentations and posters displayed at this event are peer-reviewed and selected for their quality, importance, and relevance to family medicine. The selection process is very competitive and often sees over 50 research abstracts submitted each year. In 2020, a total of 36 research abstract submissions were selected for presentation or display at the Showcase.
The Hoselton aluminum Tree of Life is given to our research award recipients. This hand-crafted sculpture embodies the strength of our commitment and the strong roots of family medicine in the healthcare community.
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2020 REVIEWERS’ CHOICE RESEARCH AWARD RECIPIENTS!
Award recipients are determined through a peer-review process evaluation based on the following criteria – Relevance and importance to family medicine; Relevance to primary care research and researchers; Innovation/originality; Clear, well-written description, well-defined objectives, and appropriate learning methods/style. Top scoring abstracts are adjudicated onsite at the Research Showcase.
Oral Presentation Category
- 1st Place: Cluster Analysis Exploring The Relationship Between Daily Patient Volume, Provider Panel Size, Service Day Provision and Patient Health Outcomes In Alberta General Practitioner Practices – T. McDonald, B.C. Lethebe, L.A. Green
- 2nd Place: Implementing of the Primary Care Pathway For The Preventions and Manangement of Obesity (3PMO) Within Calgary Foothills Primary Care Network – S. Wicklum, A. McGuire, M. Nystrom, A. Fielding, S. Wiens
- 3rd Place: Understanding Mental Models: Improving Specialty and Primary Care Integration – T. Barber, L. Toon, K. Kidd Wagner, L.A. Green
Poster Display Category
- 1st Place: Polypharmacy in Seniors Admitted to Calgary Hospitals 2013-2018 – R. Thomas, L. Nguyen, C. Naugler
- 2nd Place: Assessing the Impact of Co-Morbidities for Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and Heart Failure (HF) in Calgary Zone Hospitals – D. Woodhouse, B. Murray, C. Rice, N. Samardzic, K. Burak
- 3rd Place: Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness in Alberta and Canada: Mid-Season Analysis – Y. Efegoma, S. Orenstein, D. Skowronski, J. Dickinson
Additional Acknowledgements – 2020 Ribbon Recipients
- Emergency Department-Based Care Effective Transition Interventions to Primary Care Among Adults – A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis – F. Aghajafari, S. Sayed, N. Emami, E. Lang, J. Abraham
- Canadian Task Force Recommendations on Screening for Esophageal Adenocarcinoma in Patients with Chronic Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) Without Alarm Symptoms – E Lang, A Moore, S. Groulx, H. Limburg, M. Doull, S. Klarenbach, H. Singh, B. Wilson, B. Thombs
- Perceived Intimidation, Harassment and Discrimination During Family Medicine Residency Training: A Mixed Methods Study – O. Szafran, W. Woloschuk, M. Palacios Mackay, J. Torti
- Stakeholder Engagement: Developing an Innovative Population Health Approach to Support Family Caregivers of Older Adults – J. Parmar, L. Poole, S.D. Anderson, W. Duggleby, J. Holroyd-Leduc, S. Bremault-Phillips, C. Pollard, W. Janzen, V. Muller, A. Haq
- Co-Designing Caregiver-Centered Care Health Workforce Competencies and Training: Making the Leap to Support All Alberta Family Caregivers – J. Parmar, L. Poole, S.D. Anderson, W. Duggleby, J. Holroyd-Leduc, S. Bremault-Phillips, C. Pollard, L. Charles, A. Haq
- Recommendations for the Care of Patients Receiving Conservative Kidney Management: Focus on Management of CKD and Symptoms – J. Triscott, S. Davison, B. Tupala, B.A. Wasylynuk, V. Siu, A. Sinnarajah
- Recommendation on Screening Adults for Asymptomatic Thyroid Dysfunction in Primary Care – A. Moore, J. Riva, R. Birtwhistle, K. Morissette, J. Dickinson, D. L. Reynolds, M.T. Avery, F. Reyes Domingo, R. Rodin, B.D. Thombs