HELPFUL INFORMATION FOR YOU
Welcome to the Alberta College of Family Physicians and thank you for visiting our page for patients. As a professional member organization with a membership of more than 5,600, we are the proud voice of family physicians and family medicine in Alberta.
The Alberta College of Family Physicians (ACFP) is the provincial Chapter for the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) and was established more than 60 years ago. Learn more about Who We Are and about the ACFP’s role in provincial health care.
HOW OUR WEBSITE CAN HELP YOU
We have a number of pages that are focused on your needs.
- Find a family physician. See below or visit our Find a Family Physician page which includes links to primary family physician databases in Alberta.
- Learn what a Medical Home is. Our Patient’s Medical Home page provides resources that explain the College of Family Physicians of Canada’s Vision for Canada.
- Share your gratitude. Our Family Docs Rock site helps patients acknowledge their relationship with their doctors by showcasing how great they are. Take a moment to visit the page or share with us why your family doc rocks at email@example.com.
UNDERSTANDING THE VALUE OF A FAMILY PHYSICIAN
Why See a Family Doctor?
A family doctor-patient relationship is oftentimes one of the most trusted in health care. It is a relationship that both the family doctor and patient have been nurturing since a patient’s first visit. Take a look at the evidence summary on why it’s important to have a family doctor.
In many cases, a relationship with your family physician may be the longest partnership you have in the health system and quite possibly your life. Many family physicians treat patients from the day they were born to their last day of life. Because of this enduring relationship, family physicians possess a wide breadth and depth of clinical knowledge—both from acute and chronic presentations to preventative and palliative care.
They know you and your family
After years of treating you as a patient, your doctor knows your history and your family’s too. Quite often, family physicians will see multiple generations of a family and will likely be able to spot possible risk factors. Getting to know your whole family and understanding you helps paint a fuller picture for a physician to properly assess your medical needs and well-being.
They are in your corner
Your family doctor can be one of your best care advocates. They know your history and know what you need and will work with you and the health system to best help coordinate your care—be it referring you to the right specialist or following up on your hospital stay or emergency visit. Your family physician provides the link to ensure your care has continuity.
Family Medicine Professional Profile
Get a better understanding of what it means to be a family medicine specialist.
Looking for a family physician?
If you are looking for a family doctor, some of the best sources to help you are to:
- Ask a friend or relative.
- Call Health Link Alberta at 1-866-408-5465 (LINK).
- Search the CPSA’s online database. The College of Physicians and Surgeons’ online database allows you to search by location.
- Search the Primary Care Networks’ website
Most family doctors are part of a Primary Care Network (groups of health professionals working together to coordinate your health care).