In June 1954, the Alberta College of Family Physicians was established by a group of general practitioners who believed in a vision—a vision for knowledge sharing in practical settings and professional camaraderie.
The Chapter was known, back then, as The College of General Practice (Alberta Division). A 1969 article written by the past president (1960), M. Dolgoy MD, in Canadian Family Physician documents the first 10 years of the Chapter.
The College is founded. Dr. Pat Rose was nominated to represent the College in early deliberations.
The Chapter’s Secretary, Dr. R. F. Taylor, sends a formal request to the University of Alberta’s Dean of Medicine, Dr. John Scott, for the desire to have Class A teaching hospitals with a focus on general practice training programs.
First Scientific Assembly is held in Red Deer.
Chapter members are asked to act as preceptors for third and fourth year students (the unofficial preceptorships are early remnants of a Residency program)
3rd Annual Scientific Assembly held in Edmonton
4th Annual Scientific Assembly held in Lethbridge
Preceptor plans are finalized for Alberta and run until 1962 before it is replaced by the University of Alberta Family Study Plan.
5th Annual Scientific Assembly moves to Banff and has remained as the conference location until this day.